- 330 North Orchard Street
- Madison WI 53715
- Room 2168
- B.S., Chemistry, Hanyang University, Seoul
- M.S., Organic Chemistry, Hanyang University, Seoul
- Ph.D., Chemistry, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Jin-Hee Lee’s research involves study of histone modifying enzymes and the molecular mechanisms by which the posttranslational modifications are governed. Specifically, Lee works with histone acetyltransferases such as picNuA4 to probe how the substrates are recognized and the activity regulated in the context of chromatin-reader protein complexes. In order to achieve this goal, mononucleosomes are prepared recombinantly and the catalytic proteins with multiple domain complexes are subjected to enzyme assays in vitro. She is also interested in linking the histone modification status to the prostate cancer cells by surveying ~ 900 histone peptide library on microarray format which we have recently developed. From this study, Lee hopes to understand biological significances of some of these PTMs with regard to the cancer progress, and therefore find strategies in inhibiting the modification that leads to cell dysregulation.
Postdoctoral Research Grant, Department of Defense Prostate Cancer Research Program (PC094414)
- Benjamin T. Circello, Charles G. Miller, Jin-Hee Lee, Wilfred A. van der Donk and William W. Metcalf. The antibiotic dehydrophos is converted to a toxic pyruvate analog by peptide bond cleavage in Salmonella enterica. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 2011, 55(7), 3357-3362.
- Jin-Hee Lee, Brian Bae, Michael Kuemin, Benjamin T. Circello, William W. Metcalf, Satish K. Nair and Wilfred A. van der Donk. Characterization and crystal structure of DhpI, a novel phosphonate O-methyltransferase involved in dehydrophos biosynthesis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2010, 107, 17557-17562.
- Benjamin T. Circello, Andrew C. Eliot, Jin-Hee Lee, Wilfred A. van der Donk and William W. Metcalf. Molecular cloning and heterologous expression of the dehydrophos biosynthetic gene cluster. Chem. Biol., 2010, 17, 402-411.
- Jin-Hee Lee, Bradley S. Evans, Gongyong Li, Neil L, Kelleher and Wilfred A. van der Donk. In vitro characterization of a heterologously expressed nonribosomal peptide synthetase involved in phosphinothricin tripeptide biosynthesis. Biochemistry, 2009, 48, 5054.