Assistant Professor, Design Studies, Living Environments Laboratory
- 330 North Orchard Street
- Madison WI 53715
- Room 3176
B.S., Computer Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison
M.S., Arts Computation Engineering Program, University of California-Irvine
Ph.D., University of San Diego
Postdoc, University of Wisconsin–Madison
Kevin Ponto is Assistant Professor of Design Studies and faculty in the Living Environments Lab at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. He received his B.S. Computer Engineering from the University of Wisconsin–Madison, his M.S. from the University of California, Irvine, and his Ph.D. from the University of California, San Diego. Kevin has a long history of multidisciplinary studies. He has exhibited artistic work while in Arts Computation Engineering program at the University of California, Irvine. He worked on projects to rediscover a lost Leonardo da Vinci painting, locate the tomb of Genghis Khan, and facilitate natural methods for the public to explore cultural heritage artifacts in the Center of Interdisciplinary Science for Art, Architecture and Archaeology at the University of California, San Diego. In his post-doctorate studies, Ponto worked on projects aimed at presenting, summarizing, and replaying virtual experiences and developed new methods for interfacing with virtual environments through the Computation and Informatics in Biology and Medicine program. His current research objectives aim to develop techniques to better the experience of virtual reality through new devices, interfaces, and techniques.
- Virtual Reality
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Data Visualization
- Computer Graphics and Vision
- Media Art and Technology
- Visual Analytics
- 2012 Winners of the WARF Discovery Challenge Poster Symposium, Volumetric visualization of dynamic time varying data, Ponto, K., Roy, C. and Tredinnick, R.
- 2007 Prix Ars Electronica Honorary Mention in the Category of Hybrid Art, Pigeon Blog, Da Costa, B., Hazegh, C. and Ponto, K.
- 2006 Adobe Emerging Artist Award, Pigeon Blog, Da Costa, B., Hazegh, C. and Ponto, K.
- Ponto, K., Kuester, F., Nideffer, R. and Penny, S. “Virtual Bounds: a teleoperated mixed reality” Virtual Reality, (2006) v. 10 n. 1 pp. 41-47.
- Ponto, K. “Entangled Realities”. Master’s Thesis. The University of California, Irvine. 2006.
- Ponto, K., Kuester, F., Nideffer, R. and Penny, S., “Tangled Reality” Virtual Reality, (2008) v. 12 n. 1 pp. 37-45.
- Ponto, K., Seracini, M., and Kuester, F., “Wipe-Off: an intuitive interface for exploring ultra-large multi-spectral data sets for cultural heritage diagnostics” Computer Graphics Forum, (2009) v. 28, n. 8, pp. 2291-2301.
- Ponto, K., Wypych, T., Doerr, K., Yamaoka, S., Kimball, J., and Kuester, F., “VideoBlaster: a distributed, low-network bandwidth method for multimedia playback on tiled display systems” In proceeding of IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia, (2009) pp. 201-206.
- Ponto, K., Doerr, K. and Kuester, F., “Giga-Stack: A Method for Visualizing Giga-pixel Layered Imagery on Massively Tiled Displays” Future Generation Computer Systems, (2010) v. 26, n.5, pp. 693-700.
- Ponto, K. and Kuester, F, “DIGI-Vis: Distributed Interactive Geospatial Information Visualization” In proceedings of IEEE Aerospace Conference, (2010) pp. 1-7.
- Ponto, K., “Building a foundation for human centric multi-dimensional data analysis” Ph.D. Dissertation, University of California, San Diego. 2010.
- DeFanti, T., Acevedo, D., Ainsworth, R., Brown, M., Cutchin, S., Dawe, G., Doerr, K., Johnson, A., Knox, C., Kooima, R., Kuester, F., Leigh, J., Long, L.,Otto, P., Petrovic, V., Ponto, K., Prudhomme, A., Rao, R., Renambot, L., Sandin, D., Schulze, J., Smarr, L., Srinivasan, M., Weber, and P., Wickham, G., “The future of the CAVE” Central European Journal of Engineering, (2010). pp. 1-22.
- Olsen, M.J., Ponto, K., Kimball, J., Seracini, M., and Kuester, F., “2D open-source editing techniques for 3D laser scans” In proceedings of CAA 2010, (2010) p. 47-50.