Years at WID2015 - present2010
- A.A., Skyline College, San Bruno, California
- B.Sc., Environmental Toxicology, University of California at Davis
- Ph.D., Nutrition/Food Toxicology, University of California at Berkeley
We have a long standing interest in understanding how mammalian systems adapt to changes in their chemical and physical environments. Our work currently emphasizes the transcriptional changes that occur in response to chemical pollutants, changes in metabolism that occur in response to low oxygen tension and the behavioral and physiological changes that occur over circadian time. To solve problems, we currently employ both forward and reverse genetics in organisms such as yeast and mice. Surprising offshoots of our research include study of models for a number of human disease states, including, inherited corneal dystrophies, inherited pituitary adenomas, liver cancer, asthma and Crohn’s disease.
- 1992-1996 Pew Foundation Scholar
- 1996-2001 Burroughs Wellcome Scholar Award
- 2000 SOT Achievement Award
- 2002-2011 NIEHS MERIT
- Burbach, KM, Poland A and Bradfield, CA (1992). Cloning of the Ah-receptor cDNA reveals a novel ligand-activated transcription factor. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA). 89:8185-8189.
- Yao, G, Craven, M, Drinkwater, N and Bradfield, C (2004). Interaction networks in yeast define and enumerate the signaling steps of the vertebrate Ah-receptor. PLoS Biology. 2:355-367.
- Hogenesch, JB, Gu, Y-Z, Jain, S and Bradfield, CA. (1998). The basic-helix-loop-helix-PAS orphan MOP3 forms transcriptionally active complexes with circadian and hypoxia factors. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA). 95: 5474-5479.
- Bunger, MK, Wilsbacher, LD, Moran, SM, Clendenin, C, Radcliffe, LA, Hogenesch, JB, Simon, MC, Takahashi, JS, and Bradfield, CA (2000). Mop3 is an Essential Component of the Master Circadian Pacemaker in Mammals. Cell. 103:1009-1017.
- Walisser, JA, Bunger, MK, Glover, E and Bradfield, CA (2004). Gestational exposure of Ahr and Arnt hypomorphs to dioxin rescues vascular development. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA). 101: 16677-16682.
- Shen, AL, O’Leary, KA, Murphy C, Dubielzig RR, Kasper CB, and Bradfield CA (2010) Characterization of a Mouse Model for Human Posterior Polymorphous Corneal Dystrophy and Identification of a Candidate Gene. PLoS ONE 5(8): e12213. PMCID: PMC2922377
- Liu, Y, Johnson, BP, Shen, AL, Wallisser, JA, Krentz, KJ, Moran, SM, Sullivan, R, Glover, E, Parlow, AF, Drinkwater, NR, Schuler, LA, Bradfield, CA (2014). Loss of Bmal1 in Ovarian Steroidogenic Cells Results in Implantation Failure in Female Mice. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA). 111 (39) 14295-14300. PMCID: PMC4191810
- Johnson, BP, Walisser, JA, Liu, Y, Shen, AL, McDearmon, EL, McIntosh, BE, Vollrath, AL, Schook, AC, Takahashi, JS and Bradfield, CA (2014). The Hepatocyte Circadian Clock Controls Acetaminophen Bioactivation through NADPH-Cytochrome P450 Oxidoreductase. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA). 111 (52) 18757-18762. PMCID: PMC4284582