Years at WID2010 - present
Ph.D., Statistics, University of Wisconsin–Madison
My research involves the development of statistical models to answer biological questions, balancing biological interpretability, theoretical guarantees, and computational tractability. In particular, my research deals with modern big data which are highly interconnected through graphical structures. Examples of my research involve the inference of phylogenetic networks to study reticulate evolution, comparative methods on networks to study the evolution of traits on hybrids, new sampling schemes to improve on Bayesian MCMC tools, as well as the application of such new tools to real-life datasets such as cultivated potato and carrot, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphylococcus aureus, human endogenous retroviruses among others. Next-generation sequencing creates a big data reality that can make current methodologies prohibitive due to computational restrictions. My work produces a collection of new statistical methods with solid theoretical guarantees and efficient computational implementations that are adaptable to analyze the complex characteristics of modern [big] biological data.
- 2018 Greatly reduced phylogenetic structure in the cultivated potato clade (Solanum section Petota pro parte), Spooner, D.M., H. Ruess, C. Arbizu, F. Rodríguez, and C. Solís-Lemus, American Journal of Botany, doi:10.1002/ajb2.1008.
- 2018 Phylogenetic comparative methods on phylogenetic networks with reticulations, Bastide, P., C. Solís-Lemus, R. Kriebel, K.W. Sparks, and C. Ané, Systematic Biology, doi: 10.1093/sysbio/syy033.
- 2017 PhyloNetworks: a package for phylogenetic networks, Solís-Lemus, C., P. Bastide and C. Ané, Molecular Biology and Evolution, doi: 10.1093/molbev/msx235.
- 2016 Inferring phylogenetic networks with maximum pseudolikelihood under incomplete lineage sorting, Solís-Lemus, C. and C. Ané, PLoS Genetics 12(3): e1005896, doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1005896.
- 2016 Inconsistency of species-tree methods under gene flow, Solís-Lemus, C., M. Yang and C. Ané, Systematic Biology, doi: 10.1093/sysbio/syw030.
- 2016 Statistical evidence for common ancestry: application to primates, Baum, D., C. Ané, B. Larget, C. Solís-Lemus, L.S.T. Ho, P. Boone, C. Drummond, M. Bontrager, S. Hunter, B. Saucier, Evolution, doi: 10.1111/evo.12934.
- 2015 Bayesian species delimitation combining multiple genes and traits in a unified framework, Solís-Lemus, C., L.L. Knowles and C. Ané, Evolution, 2:69,492–507