Discovery Fellow, Associate Professor, Library and Information Studies, Living Environments Laboratory
- 330 North Orchard Street
- Madison WI 53715
- AMLS Library Studies, University of Michigan
- M.A. American History/Administration of Archives, University of Michigan
- MSIS Information Science/Medical Informatics, University of Pittsburg
- Ph.D. Library and Information Science/Medical Informatics, University of Pittsburg
Current interests include consumer health vocabulary, consumer comprehension of clinical text in various environments including personal health records and electronic medical records, and the challenges of providing medical information in nonmedical environments.
- Smith, C.A., Hetzel, S., Dalrymple, P., & Keselman, A. (2011). Beyond readability: Improving comprehensibility of clinical text for consumers. Journal of Medical Internet Research. Available online: http://www.jmir.org/2011/4/e104/. doi: 10.2196/jmir.1842.
- Smith, C.A. (2011). A Go Local bibliography. Journal of Consumer Health on the Internet.[Special Issue: Go Local: Lessons Learned.] 15(3): 299-304. doi: 10.1080/15398285.2011.597349.
- Smith, C.A. (2011). Introduction to the Go Local Special Issue. Journal of Consumer Health on the Internet [Special Issue: Go Local: Lessons Learned.]. 15(3):235-245. doi: 10.1080/15398285.2011.597339.
- Smith, C.A. (2011). “The easier-to-use version”: Public librarian awareness of consumer health resources from the National Library of Medicine. Journal of Consumer Health on the Internet, 15(2), 149-163.
- Smith, C.A. (2011). Consumer language, patient language, and thesauri: A review of the literature. Journal of the Medical Library Association, 99(2), 135–144. Available online: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3066584/. Date accessed: September 2, 2011.
- Keselman, A., Logan, R., Smith C.A., Leroy, G., Zeng-Treitler, Q. (2008). Developing informatics tools and strategies for consumer-centered health communication. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association. [Selected for International Medical Informatics Association Yearbook 2009].
- Keselman, A., Smith, C.A., Divita, G., Kim, H., Browne, A.C., Leroy, G., Zeng-Treitler, Q. Consumer health concepts that do not map to the UMLS: Where do they fit? (2008). Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association.
- Smith, C.A. (2007). The Ten Thousand Questions Project: Towards a better understanding of consumer health vocabulary. Journal of Consumer Health on the Internet, 11(1), 33-47.
- Nicholson, S., & Smith, C.A. (2007). Using lessons from health care to protect the privacy of library users: Guidelines for the de-identification of library data based on HIPAA. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology.
- Smith, C.A. (2005). An evolution of experts: MEDLINE in the library school. Journal of the Medical Library Association [special issue]. Available online: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC545122/?tool=pubmed. Date accessed: September 8, 2011.