Jayaraman Tharmalingam was born and brought up in a small village in Tamil Nadu, India. He has been interested in science and math since childhood and dreams of becoming a scientist. He graduated from Christian Medical College, Vellore, India, and completed his first postdoctoral research in a collaborative research project at RIKEN, Tokyo University of Science, and Chiba University, Japan. He is an interactive and friendly person who has a bunch of friends. His hobbies are reading books and traveling.
- PhD, Biochemistry, Christian Medical College, Vellore, Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical University, India
- MPhil, Biochemistry, Annamalai University, Chidambaram, India
- MSc, Biochemistry, Annamalai University, Chidambaram, India
- BSc, Chemistry, Government Arts College, Chidambaram, Madras University, India
The May MIDAS lab generates and integrates multi-omics data to develop multi-scale theoretical models of host-pathogen, microbial and molecular biology systems. My research focus is on developing and integrating experimental models of host-innate and adaptive immune cells response against bacterial infection, with a focus on tuberculosis disease. Using cellular and animal models, I investigate the impact of comorbidities on host effector response and immune signaling pathways. My work also leverages confocal microscopy and genetic engineering methodologies to understand molecular to cellular scale interactions in host-pathogen systems and bacterial communities.
- Research Associate - University of Houston, Houston, Texas, USA
- Postdoctoral Fellow – Tokyo University of Science, Japan
- Visiting Scientist – Chiba University, Japan
- Visiting Scientist – RIKEN, Japan.
- Senior Research Fellow – Christian Medical College, Vellore, India
- Project Fellow – Center for Plant Molecular Biology, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, India
- Research grant - International Society of Neurochemistry – Committee for Aid and Education in Neurochemistry (ISN-CAEN), Switzerland
- Senior Research Fellowship (SRF) - Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), India.
- Travel grant - International Brain Research Organization (IBRO)/Pasteur Institute, Paris, France.
- Academic Editor – Disease Markers,
- Academic Editor - Canadian Journal of Infectious Diseases and Medical Microbiology
- Academic Editor - Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Infectious Diseases