- BS, General Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- MS, General Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- PhD, Industrial Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Professor Laura Albert’s research focuses on modeling and solving real-world discrete optimization problems with application to homeland security, disasters, public services, and healthcare.
- President-Elect/President/Past-President, INFORMS Section on Public Programs, Service and Needs (SPPSN), 2013 – 2015.
- President-Elect/President/Past-President, Women in OR/MS (WORMS), a forum of INFORMS, 2012 – 2014.
- Member of the Doing Good with Good O.R. Committee, INFORMS, 2012 – 2014, and co-chair of the committee in 2013.
- Cluster chair for the Healthcare systems/Informatics, INFORMS Annual Meeting, October 6-9, 2013, Minneapolis, MN.
- Member of the INFORMS nominating committee, 2013.
- Member of the IT committee, INFORMS, 2011 – 2012.
- Cluster chair, Women in OR/MS (WORMS), 2012 INFORMS Annual Meeting, Phoenix, AZ, October 2012.
- Vice-President of Communications, INFORMS Section on Public Programs, Service and Needs (SPPSN), 2010 – 2012.
- Vice-President of Meetings, Women in OR/MS (WORMS), a forum of INFORMS, 2008-2010.
- NSF CAREER Award, 2011.
- Young Investigator Award, Department of the Army-Materiel Command, Army Research Office, 2010.
- Operations Research Challenge Competition Winner, First Symposium on Operations Research and the Criminal Justice System, US National Institute of Justice 2006.
- INFORMS Computing Society Student Paper Competition, Runner-up, 2006.
- Fellow, National Science Foundation, Enabling the Next Generation of Hazards and Disasters Researchers Fellows Program, 2009.
- Outstanding IIE Publication Award (with Sheldon H. Jacobson), 2009.
- Best paper award, 2009 Industrial Engineering Research Conference, Operations Research track (with Sunarin Chanta, Maria Mayorga, and Margaret Wiecek), 2009.
- Achievement Award Winner for Next-Generation Emergency Medical Response Through Data Analysis & Planning (Best in Category winner, as part of the Hanover County Fire & EMS team), National Association of Counties, 2010.
- Excellence in Scholarship Award, College of Humanities and Sciences, Virginia Commonwealth University, 2012.
- Best paper award from Risk Analysis, Society of Risk Analysis (with Casey Rothschild and Seth Guikema), 2012.