Years at WID2010 - present
- B.S., Materials Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- B.S., Economics and Management, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- M.S., Materials Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- Ph.D., Materials Science and Engineering, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
Prof. Gong's research group focuses on the design, synthesis/fabrication, and characterization of novel materials and devices. Many of our on-going projects are multidisciplinary, bridging engineering with materials science, chemistry, and the life sciences. Some of our on-going efforts include:
- Multifunctional nanocarriers (e.g., unimolecular nanoparticles, polymer micelles and vesicles, polymer nanocages, functionalized inorganic nanoparticles) for combined delivery of therapeutic and diagnostic agents which can be used to treat and diagnose various types of diseases (e.g., cancers, vascular diseases, liver diseases, and eye diseases).
- Biomaterials (e.g., tissue engineering scaffolds).
- Multifunctional polymer nanocomposites for various applications including flexible electronics, supercapacitors, nanogenerators, actuators, and sensors.
- Cellulose nanofibril (CNF)-based aerogels.
- Wisconsin Institute for Discovery
- Department of Materials Science and Engineering
- Department of Chemistry
- University of Wisconsin Carbone Cancer Center
- University of Wisconsin Eye Institute
- Member of the Editorial Board for the following Journals: Biomaterials, Biofabrication, Theranostics, Nanotheranostics, and Journal of Biobased Materials and Bioenergy
- Fellow of the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering
- Associate Editor for Biomaterials, 2014-2015
- Vilas Associate Award, University of Wisconsin-Madison 2014-2016
- Vilas Distinguished Achievement Professorship 2014-Present
- Board of Director for Chinese American Society of Nanomedicine and Nanobiotechnology 2016-Present
- National Institutes of Health Mentored Quantitative Research Career Development Award 2013-2018
- Kellett Mid-Career Award, University of Wisconsin–Madison, 2008-2013
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award 2007-2012
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Outstanding Research Award 2007
- Society for Information Display Award 1998
- Pre-doctoral Fellowship University of Michigan-Ann Arbor 1997-1998
- Barbour Fellowship University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, 1996-1997
- Liu, F., Ma, F., Wang, Y., Hao, L., Zeng, H., Jia, C., Wang, Y., Liu, P., Ong, I., Li, B., Chen, G., Jiang, J., Gong, S., Li, L., and Xu, W., PKM2 Methylation by CARM1 Activates Aerobic Glycolysis to Promote Tumorigenesis, Nature Cell Biology, 19 (11), 1358-1370, 2017. DOI: 10.1038/ncb3630
- Chen, G., Ma, B., Xie, R., Wang, Y., Dou, K., and Gong, S., NIR-induced Spatiotemporally Controlled Gene Silencing by Upconversion Nanoparticle-Based siRNA Nanocarrier, Journal of Controlled Release. In Press, 2017.
- Zhang, K., Jung, Y.H., Mikael, S., Seo, J.H., Kim, M., Mi, H., Zhou, H., Xia, Z., Zhou, W., Gong, S., and Ma, Z., Origami Silicon Optoelectronics for Hemispherical Electronic Eye Systems, Nature Communication, 8 (1), 1782, 2017.
- Zheng, Q., Fang, L., Guo, H., Yang, K., Cai, Z., Meador, M., and Gong, S., Highly Porous Polymer Aerogel Film-Based Triboelectric Nanogenerators, Advanced Functional Materials. In Press, 2018.
- Chen, G., Shi, X., Xie, R., Guo, L., Gong, S., and Kent, C., A Unimolecular Micelle-Based Hybrid System for Perivascular Drug Delivery Produces Long-Term Efficacy for Neointima Attenuation in Rats, Biomacromolecules, 18(7):2205-2213, 2017.
- Chen, G., Wang, Y., Xie, R., and Gong, S., Tumor-targeted pH/redox dual-sensitive unimolecular nanoparticles for efficient siRNA delivery, Journal of Controlled Release, 259, 105-114, 2017.
- Chen, G.+, Jaskula-Sztul, R.+, Esquibel, C.R., Lou, I., Zheng, Q., Dammalapati, A., Harrison, A., Eliceiri, K.W., Tang, W., Chen, H. and Gong, S., Neuroendocrine Tumor-Targeted Upconversion–Nanoparticle-Based Micelles for Simultaneous NIR-Controlled Combination Chemotherapy and Photodynamic Therapy, and Fluorescence Imaging, Advanced Functional Materials, 27 (8), 2017.
- Zhao, L., Chen, G., Li., J., Fu, Y., Mavlyutov, T.A., Yao, A., Nicekells, R.W., Gong, S., and Guo, L., An Intraocular Drug Delivery System Using Targeted Nanocarriers Attenuates Retinal Ganglion Cell Degeneration, Journal of Controlled Release, 247, 153-166, 2017.
- Tang, Y., Zheng, Q., Chen, B., Ma Z., and Gong, S., A New Class of Flexible Nanogenerators Consisting of Porous Aerogel Films Driven by Mechanoradicals, Nano Energy, 38, 401-411, 2017.
- Brinkman, A., Chen, G., Wang, Y., Hedman, C.J., Sherer, N.M., Havighurst, T.C., Gong, S. and Xu, W., Aminoflavone-Loaded EGFR-Targeted Unimolecular Micelle Nanoparticles Exhibit Anti-Cancer Effects in Triple Negative Breast Cancer, Biomaterials, 101, 20-31, 2016.
- Chen, G., Jaskula-Sztul, R., Harrison, A., Dammalapati, Xu, W., A. Cheng, Y., Chen, H. and Gong, S., KE108-Conjugated Unimolecular Micelles Loaded with a Novel HDAC Inhibitor Thailandepsin-A for Targeted Neuroendocrine Cancer Therapy, Biomaterials, 97, 22-33,2016.
- Jung, Y., Chang, T., Zhang, H., Yao, C., Zheng, Q., Yang, V., Mi, H., Kim, M., Cho, S., Park, D., Jiang, H., Lee, J., Qiu, Y., Cai, Z., Gong, S., and Ma, Z., High-Perfor¬mance Flexible Electronics Based on Biodegradable Cellulose Nanofibril Paper, Nature Communication, May 26, 2015.