- BS, Materials Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- BS, Economics and Management, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- MS, Materials Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- PhD, Materials Science and Engineering, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
Prof. Gong's research group focuses on the design, synthesis/fabrication, and characterization of novel materials and devices. Many of our on-going projects are multidisciplinary, bridging engineering with materials science, chemistry, and the life sciences. Some of our on-going efforts include:
- Multifunctional nanocarriers (e.g., unimolecular nanoparticles, polymer micelles and vesicles, polymer nanocages, functionalized inorganic nanoparticles) for combined delivery of therapeutic and diagnostic agents which can be used to treat and diagnose various types of diseases (e.g., cancers, vascular diseases, liver diseases, and eye diseases).
- Biomaterials (e.g., tissue engineering scaffolds).
- Multifunctional polymer nanocomposites for various applications including flexible electronics, supercapacitors, nanogenerators, actuators, and sensors.
- Cellulose nanofibril (CNF)-based aerogels.
- Wisconsin Institute for Discovery
- Department of Materials Science and Engineering
- Department of Chemistry
- University of Wisconsin Carbone Cancer Center
- University of Wisconsin Eye Institute
- RRF Edwin and Dorothy Gamewell Professorship
- Fellow of the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering
- Editorial Board Member: Biomaterials, Biofabrication, Theranostics, and Nanotheranostics
- Advisory Board Member: Biomaterials Science
- Associate Editor for 2014-2015
- WARF Innovation Award 2021
- Kellett Mid-Career Award, University of Wisconsin-Madison 2018-2023
- Vilas Associate Award, University of Wisconsin-Madison 2014-2016
- Vilas Distinguished Achievement Professorship 2014-Present
- Advancing Vision Science Professorship 2021-Present
- Board of Director for Chinese American Society of Nanomedicine and Nanobiotechnology 2016-Present
- National Institutes of Health Mentored Quantitative Research Career Development Award 2013-2018
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award 2007-2012
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Outstanding Faculty Research Award 2007
- Society for Information Display Award 1998
- Pre-doctoral Fellowship University of Michigan-Ann Arbor 1997-1998
- Barbour Fellowship University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, 1996-1997